The mission of the Vermont Telecommunications Authority was established as follows by the Vermont General Assembly and passed into law in June 2007.
- That all residences and business in all regions of the state have access to affordable broadband services.
- The expanded availability of mobile telecommunication services including voice and high-speed data throughout the state.
- The investment in telecommunications infrastructure which will support the best available and economically feasible service capabilities.
- That telecommunications and broadband infrastructure in all areas of the state is continuously upgraded to reflect the rapid evolution in the capabilities of available mobile telecommunications and broadband technologies, and in the capabilities of mobile telecommunications and broadband services needed by persons, businesses, and institutions.
- The most efficient use of both public and private resources through state policies by encouraging the development of open access telecommunications infrastructure that can be shared by multiple service providers.